Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 5 Vienna!

Today was the big day. Moving into my apartment in Vienna! First we had to leave Mariazell, which proved to be the only day of the entire trip it was not snowing. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the non-snow filled valley. Oh well, it happens. Once we got to Vienna I had to take a taxi to my apartment building. I have never taken a taxi before, so this was quite the experience. Once I arrived at my place on Jahngasse, I got up to my room and it is very nice. After a while I got all of my things placed away and the rest of the students and I went to a local restaurant where I had some schnizel as we could not cook for ourselves today. In Austria, the grocery stores are not open on Sundays, and we therefore have to find things to eat until we can go shopping. I believe we will go shopping tomorrow however, so this shouldn't last for too long. Now that I'm back in my room, overlooking the street, I am very very tired. Keeping in mind the 7 hour time difference, When I have been getting up at 7 am, most of you reading this are still awake as it's midnight in Minnesota.

Tomorrow should be a fun filled day however. First I am going to register with the local police that I am not living in this apartment. After that I will be heading to the IES center in Vienna where I will be having my first day of my German Intensive course. This is hopefully going to teach us enough German in a month to be able to get by relatively on our own, but not necessarily perfectly. After that, I will be done with class at around 1 pm and I will have the afternoon to wander the streets of Vienna. Hopefully I can figure out how to make my way back to my apartment with relative ease, otherwise, I'm screwed :P I don't think I will have too much issue though. Until next time however, Auf Wiedersehen

Some photos of the day:


My new room


All moved in


The only other non-bedroom room in the apartment, the kitchen

1 comment:

  1. That's a pretty cozy apartment. I take it you have a roommate then? The second bed was a bit of a giveaway. Diggin' the two clocks in the kitchen, one local time one home time?

    ReplyDelete