Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Trip 2 Day 7 Normandy

Today I visited my second most important site in Europe. I visited the Normandy beaches. The day started rough, as we almost missed our train to the region and once we got there we quickly realized there was very little in the ways of tourist transportation. A couple cabs got us from where we were to where we wanted to go, and thankfully it wasn't expensive, but still not ideal. Initially we stopped in the seaside town or Arromanches. This city is situated between two cliffs on the Normandy shore and it is called Gold beach. Here the British troops invaded. They built a port in a matter of days using prefabricated parts and provided a vital lifeline of supplies and troops for the invasion. We spent quite a while here, perhaps too much in fact. It wasn't until 4:15 were we on our way to Omaha beach. We did not have much time as the cemetery closed at 5 pm. That made us very rushed. I wish we had gone there first, however we saw the cemetery and the beach. Next time I am in Europe, I will spend an entire day just wandering this one site. That being said, it was still a great day and a great memory. I only wish I had more time to spend in reverence of the soldiers who gave so much for us.

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment